What is vROPS or vRealize Operation Manager?
vROPS or vRealize Operations Manager is an application or software which provides operations management across physical, virtual and cloud environments, no matter if those environments are based on vSphere, Hyper-V or Amazon Web Services. It delivers intelligent operations management with application-to-storage visibility across physical, virtual, and cloud infrastructures. Using policy-based automation, operations teams automate key processes and improve IT efficiency.
Using data collected from system resources (objects), vRealize Operations Manager identifies issues in any monitored system component, often before the customer notices a problem. vRealize Operations Manager also frequently suggests corrective actions you can take to fix the problem right away. For more challenging problems, vRealize Operations Manager offers rich analytical tools that allow you to review and manipulate object data to reveal hidden issues, investigate complex technical problems, identify trends, or drill down to gauge the health of a single object.
Before we Deploy
This Article is a step to step guide to deploy vROPS 7.0 appliance in your infrastructure from scratch.
Before we start make sure you have:-
1) vROPS OVA downloaded from VMware portal
2) Sizing understanding as per KB57903
3) A fully functional vCenter
NOTE: This deployment tutorial is for standalone or single server vRealize Operations Manager Deployment.
If you have above requirements fulfilled, below are the steps to deploy a new
1) Login to your vCenter >> Go to the Cluster you want to deploy the vRealize Operation Manager OVA >> Right Click on Cluster and Select “Deploy OVF Template“
2) Select an OVF Template: On Deploy OVF Template Wizard,
3) Select a name and folder: Now, select the name for your
4) Select a compute resource: Select a cluster or hosts on which you want this VM to be provisioned/deployed >> Next.
5) Review details: This screen will show the details of template >> Next.
6) License Agreement: Accept the License agreements >> Next
7) Configuration: Now select the Sizing of the Appliance on the basis of your infrastructure >> Press Next once selected
Note: I have selected Large instance which has 11000 or more VM’s.
8) Select Storage: Select a Storage where VM Data/VMDK will be created. (Make sure to have
9) Select networks: at step 8, select the network to which the vRealize Operation Manager will be connected and communicating with your infra. >> Next.
10: Customize Template: In this section you can configure network i.e. IP Address, Gateway, DNS, Timezone, Domain etc. Put the data as per your infra and network >> Next
11) Ready to complete: Review the configuration you have done and press Finish
12) Wait and Power On:- Once you finish the Wizard, VROPS VM will be deployed using the template.
Post Deployment Configurations
Now, as you have vRealize Operation Manager up and running fine its time to do post installation/deployment configurations. Below is the step by step guide to do the post deployment configurations.
1) Browse Admin Portal:- vROPS URL (AdminPortal) in your favorite browser using:
https://<IP Address of the Server>/admin/
https://<dnsname of the server>/admin/
You will see below screen >> Next.
2) Set Administrator Credentials:- Enter the password (admin credentials) you want to set for vRealize Operations Manager >> Next
3) Choose Certificate:- If you have generated a certificate you can configure it now or select default certificate like me. I will be updating the Certificate later. >> Next
4) Deployment Settings:- Keep the local VM hostname as the master server and add all the NTP server you have in your infrastructure for Time synchronizations >> Next
5) Add Nodes:- If you want to configure HA or Add node, you can configure here. >> Next
6) Ready To Complete:- Press “Finish” to complete the Initial Setup.
Grab a cup of coffee till the time it finishes the initial setup.
This is my first attempt to deploy vROPS and I am looking for expert comments or views which will update my knowledge.